Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Chronicles of Narnia

            No young adult recommendation would be complete without talking about C.S. Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia.  The Chronicles of Narnia are a seven book series that features four siblings (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy) and their adventures in Narnia.  The siblings do not appear in all of the novels, but they are a main focal point.
            There are two ways to read the series either by publication date or the chronological order of the books.  I believe the best way to read them is in the chronological order.  It helps the stories make more sense and carry on in a continuous manner.  The chronological order is as follows The Magician’s Nephew, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, and The Last Battle.
            The series is fantastical and imaginative.  I would also like to point out that these are also classed as Christian books.  I want to explain that while the symbolism is present, I personally did not read those tones until I was an adult.  It is up to you as a parent to decide if you wish to explain this to your child or not.

            I love this series.  The adventures are creative and Lewis’ writing drags you into Narnia.  I highly recommend this series.  It’s recommended for ages 8 & up.  I agree with this recommendation.  I want to suggest that it makes great bedtime reading.  You can purchase the entire series as a set.  As a note, all the sets you purchase are ordered chronologically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment