Sunday, February 2, 2014

Percy Jackson & The Olympians

The Percy Jackson & The Olympians Series by Rick Riordan is one of the best kids series out there, in my opinion.  Riordan has a gift for making mythology more accessible and understandable to youngsters.  I wish that this series were around when I was growing up. I would have devoured it.  Coincidently, I read through this series incredibly quickly as an adult and enjoyed it immensely.  I believe that both young readers and their parents will enjoy this series.
        The series features both strong male and female characters.  Percy Jackson discovers he’s a half-blood i.e. half-mortal and half-god.  His father turns out to be Poseidon.  Throughout the five book series, Percy has adventures, overcomes obstacles and discovers what he’s made of.
        As an interesting side not, all demi-gods have learning disabilities.  They all have ADD or ADHD and several have dyslexia.  These books could be really useful for a child who feels let out or different and either has the conditions stated or just feels that way in general.

        I cannot recommend this series too highly.  I plan to add it to my collection.  Parents and adults please note that there is violence in the fighting, but nothing overly graphic. The book is recommended for ages 10-14.  I, however, believe that you can lower that age to 7 or 8 depending on how advanced the reader is and at the discretion of the parent concerning the battles that occur.  I think it could make a great bedtime story book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment